- 400 g potatoes, waxy
- 100 ml coconut oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 shallots
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 200g grated coconut
- 120 ml vegetable stock
- 100 ml tamarind pulp
- 10-15 spring curry leaves
- 1. Blanch the potatoes, cube them and keep aside.
- 2. Blend 50 ml coconut oil, 1 tsp of cumin seeds, 2 cloves garlic and shallots in a mixer to get the avial paste.
- Heat the remaining coconut oil and fry the avial paste for a moment. Add turmeric, the blanched potatoes and salt to taste and continue cooking for a few minutes.
- 4. Add the remaining cumin, garlic and additionally the grated coconut and deglaze with vegetable stock. Keep cooking for a few more minutes.
- Stir in the tamarind pulp. If the dish seems to thick, add more vegetable stock and let it boil for a few moments.
- Season with curry leaves and serve hot.